Tuesday, March 11, 2014

I am often reminded that it's the small things that make the greatest impact on us. Whether its the little kindnesses we receive, or the delights that take us by surprise. I certainly didn't anticipate one of those delights being revealed to me as I squealed with happiness to see that there was BUTTER and MARMALADE in the grocery bag that our neighbor dropped into our house before she jet-sets off to Asia. I had a similar experience when my neighbor on the other side left me a small box of loose leaf tea... and now it's got me thinking. Other than the obvious sign that the normal aspects of a good old fashioned British breakfast seem to delight me, there is something to be said for sharing the things that bring you joy, with those around you.

Having these small surprises in life really boost our mood and help us to see life in a lighter perspective. I am making it a personal mission to attempt to find ways to sneak these small bolts of happiness lightening into the lives of those around me. The first step in this is by simply being aware of them and what impacts them, stirring up their joy and what the bible calls "spurring one another on to good deeds" because its really the small things that help inspire us to keep that joy moving onto others.

It is a few more weeks before we disappear up into the back blocks of Australia, and before we go I am determined that there must be a few ways that I can experiment these little lightening bolts before I go. I encourage you, reader, to do the same! Find some ways that you can shoot happiness-bolts into the lives of those around you, and take the opportunity when it comes. It usually is an unexpected person that receives these... so beware of the joy-wielding power that a simple magazine and chocolate can bestow on a tired out mum, or the grin of delight that movie tickets can bring to an overworked bloke... there are of course hundreds of other ways to do this, but as mine consisted of second-hand butter and marmalade, I am sure that you can get creative and find something that equally suits you.

Bless you all,

K

No comments:

Post a Comment